Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Living Room Decoupaged Map Tray

My sister gave me this old wooden frame with a violin picture that I didn't think was too cute, but she gave me the idea of turning it into a cute tray to use as a table top for the basket in our living room. She also had a cool map that she gave me to put over the picture so all I had to buy was a bottle of white spray paint, some Modge Podge, and a sponge brush and I was ready to go.  Unfortunately I forgot to get a picture of the Frame before I did the first coat of paint so you can't tell how big of a transformation it went through. Just imagine a wooden frame and an ugly brown picture in the background.

Second coat of paint...

Next I removed the picture from the frame.

Here's the frame looking so much better white.

Next I laid the picture over the map to trace the shape and cut it out.

Then I decoupaged the map straight onto the picture and then decoupaged over it so it was glossy and wouldn't get ruined when we set drinks on it.


I let it dry for a few hours.

Once the map was completely dry I popped it back in the frame and here is how it turned out!

2 comments:

  1. love this too. maybe i have a thing for maps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I think you do! there's so much fun stuff you can do with them.

    ReplyDelete