Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Redisigned Baby Rocking Chair

I found this adorable miniature rocking chair at a yard sale last weekend and thought it would be perfect to give to my cousin (who is expecting a baby girl in July) at her baby shower this weekend. The red was a little boyish and I knew she was going to have touches of yellow in her nursery so I decided to paint it yellow. I had also recently read younhouselove's post where they painted a wooden high chair with a very fun yellow paint. So using their step by step instructions and the same paints I began the process of revamping this cute little rocker.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it. It was already very cute, but just needed a new color to match it's new home.

First I sanded it.

Next, I sat the chair on top of a newspaper in the yard so I didn't have to worry about getting spray paint anywhere it didn't belong.Then I sprayed it with a few coats of white spray paint primer. After waiting for it to dry I flipped the chair over and painted the bottom side too.

I waited about 30 minutes until the primer was dry to touch and then spray painted it with several coats of Rustoleum's "Sun Yellow" gloss spray paint. I did the same on the bottom side of the chair as well. It looks a little green in this picture for some reason.

After letting it dry out for a few days this is how it turned out. I made a cute baby sized pillow out of the same fabric they chose for their bed skirt and curtains that I made them, sadly I forgot to take a picture with it. I'll try to get one from my cousin and post it later.

I tried to get my cat to pose sitting on the chair. As you can see she wasn't too happy about the idea.

What do you think?

Update: my awesome cousin in law saw on my blog I needed a picture of the chair with the pillow I made to go with it and sent me a few pictures of it. Here are two views of the chair in their adorable nursery.






No comments:

Post a Comment