Wednesday, September 19, 2012

DIY Table Runner

For mothers day I promised my mom I would make her a table runner with the fabric of her choice, four months later I finally got around to making it. She chose a very cute blue I-kat fabric from fabric.com. We also considered doing a double sided table runner with a different pattern on each side, but in the end she never found a fabric she liked for the back side. 

Here's what you need:
1. Fabric (my table runner was 73''x14'' so I bought 74'' of fabric)
2. Interfacing (the same length as your fabric)
3. Thread
4. Iron
5. Scissors
6. Sewing machine
7. Pins
8. Pens

First I folded my fabric down the middle long-ways so that I could cut out both the front and back at the same time. I cut out my fabric 1'' wider all around so that I had a 1/2'' seam allowance, so it was 74"x15".


Next I cut my interfacing (I only added it to one side) the same size as my fabric and ironed it on. I had two pieces of interfacing so I did it in two parts.


Here is a bad picture of the fabric with all the interfacing ironed on.


I pinned my two pieces of fabric together with right sides facing each other.


I sewed around the table runner with a 1/2'' seam allowance leaving an opening approximately 8 inches wide to flip the fabric right side out when I was finished.


I cut the corners so they would be sharper once I flipped it right side out.


Then I flipped the fabric right side out and ironed all the edges and corners.


Here's what the corners and edges looked like afterwards.


 Finally I hand stitched the opening shut with a blind stitch and the table runner was complete!


Here it is on my dining room table and as soon as my mom gets it in the mail I will post a picture of it on her table.








No comments:

Post a Comment